Thursday, March 10, 2011

Think Spring

The winter months have taken their toll on many of us avid fishermen, giving us the incredible urge to get the boat wet again and have a normal sized fishing pole back in our hands!  Every year the first trip of the season is highly anticipated and can never come soon enough.
Early March Walleye

The fishing at this late ice/early spring time of year can be nothing short of spectacular as well!  The Walleyes are beginning their spawning migrations up the many rivers throughout the Midwest, while spring run Steelhead are leaving the big lake and heading up the many tributaries towards their spawning grounds, and the Brown Trout are schooled up along the shorelines up and down Lake Michigan.

Lake Michigan Brown Trout
Before this first trip of the spring can take place, you must prepare all of your equipment to ensure a safe and well prepared maiden voyage.  If wading the rivers for spring Steelhead, be sure to check your waders for leaks.  I speak from experience on this, since just last week I headed out to a local dam in search of some spring Walleye and had my trip cut short due to a wet leg.  The simplest way I found to test for leaks is to fill your waders with water, then standing them up and searching for any water on the outside of your waders.

27" Wolf River Walleye

If heading out in the boat on your first trip, make sure you put the plug back in for starters, also make sure all batteries are charged up and also properly hooked up.  I also like to make sure that I have all of the tackle I may need on the trip in the boat and ready.  Remember things like pliers and your camera to make your trip more enjoyable.  I also like to keep my life preservers handier during the cold water months than I do in the summer time. 


When it comes to tackle, I prefer to bring a small tackle box that is custom packed for the season, rather than lugging all of my tackle along on every trip.  For one, having less tackle in the boat means more room.  Things such as trolling crankbaits and spoons can stay at home when I head out on the Wolf River, and my jigs and plastics can be left at home when heading out on Lake Michigan for spring Browns!


I hope a few of these spring fishing ideas will help your first trip of the year become a smooth, productive, and enjoyable one!

No comments: